Steamed clams with cilantro and red pepper Recipe
Serve crusty bread and a chilled Pinot Grigio throughout the meal. Beer would be fun, too.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups sake or dry vermouth
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large pot over medium heat. Add green onions and cook 3 minutes. Add 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro and next 4 ingredients. Increase heat to high; bring mixture to boil. Add clams; cover pot. Cook until clams open, shaking pot often, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer clams to 6 soup bowls (discard any clams that do not open). Boil remaining liquid over high heat until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over clams. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and serve.