Twitter

Friday, June 17, 2011

My review of: SPIDERMAN Turn off the Dark







So a couple of days ago I get an email from IAVA informing me that I was to be the recipient of two tickets to SPIDERMAN turn off the Dark as part of their partnership with Miller brewing.

I was ecstatic that I could go and take my son to go see this Broadway play. We had heard the unflattering reviews and jokes about it on the morning radio, but nevertheless I wanted to see what a 70 million dollar production might have to offer.



We got there about an hour beforehand to collect our tickets at will call. We got our tickets and then took a quick walking tour of the area. We returned, only to find out that for some reason our two seats in the orchestra area were not seated together. I checked back with the box office and at first they kinda shrugged their shoulders but then after a quick huddle they reissued two tickets that happened to be balcony box seats. My son was excited because he perceived them to be an upgrade, but in reality these seats are essentially obstructed view seats, however I was, not for a second, going to be ungrateful for seats given to me by IAVA.

We got to the seats and began to watch the show. I'm not sure if the critics were wrong, or if the critics were initially right and the show adjusted things based on the initial critics hammering the show, but I gotta say the show was absolutely fantastic.

Between the spectacle of the sets, the amazing aerial acrobatics, and the awesome musical score by Bono and The Edge, this show rocked! Now at one point the aerial system did shut down to protect the performers but the audience was more than willing to wait while the systems reset themselves, and was even entertained by an ad-libbing Spiderman as he broke out into a tap dance routine. It to me, actually validated that the performance was very real and could even be dangerous.

SPIDERMAN Turn Off the Dark, is actually a live 3d show. The memories that I have from today's performance will last a lifetime, and now has me feeling guilty that my wife and daughter didn't get to see it (yet). This time we'll return with them and definitely choose orchestra seating.

For those that go expecting a great work of literary art adapted for Broadway, please save your money. It's based off a comic book for god's sake! But for a great adaptation of a beloved comic book character in a play that pushes the boundaries of spectacle, then surrender your plastic at the door, I believe you will see something you haven't seen before in theatrical history.





1 comment:

Smith-Jones said...

Hi There

I found your blog and wanted to ask if you thought the seats were worth it - I have the opportunity to buy some when we visit from the UK. I am a little concerend we will miss a lot of the preformance as I am under the impression that is the case....hope you could shed some light :) dont fancy waisting $110 each :)

Regards

Bernie